|The Common Core Reading & Writing Workshop Series
The Common Core Reading & Writing Workshop series for grades K–8 provides grade-specific yearlong curricular plans for reading and writing workshops that are carefully aligned to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). Provided in an easily accessible electronic format (PDF), these curricular plans can be quickly downloaded and immediately support your reading and writing workshops.
Each grade-specific curricular plan:
Some ways the writing plans support the CCSS
- offers a yearlong workshop curriculum that includes unit rationales, sequential teaching points, crucial minilessons, practical teaching tips, and descriptions of student work;
- unpacks related Common Core State Standards and aligns them with appropriate units of study;
- builds on the scaffolds and practices detailed in the Units of Study series;
- models best practices by explicitly describing Lucy and her colleagues' teaching moves and language.
- Opinion/argument writing units run through the entire curriculum starting in kindergarten where students write list books on their likes and dislikes. Grades 5, 7, and 8 build on this strand with new units on how to write research-based argument essays.
- At each level students write informational texts based on topics of personal expertise and based on nonfiction reading and research.
- While students first learn the writing process with topics of their own choosing, writing skills are developed across the curriculum through writing about-reading and content area literacy.